Saturday 1 November 2014

Sally Bowles Makeup Design 1

For this makeup design, I was largely inspired by the popular colours used in makeup during the 1930s. Blue was a very popular wash of colour for eyelids. I used a very pigmented shimmery turquoise on the eye. I ran a white M.A.C pencil along my water line to give a wide eye illusion and added a set of thick, exaggerating false eyelashes because false lashes were a very new and popular trend in the 30s. Thin, arched brows, were also fashionable and I tried to achieve this shape by following my natural brow, creating more of a curve instead of a straight line. I used a subtle pink blush on the apples of my cheeks to get a rosy glow. On the lips, I opted for a peachy tone to compliment the blue eye shadow. 

Overall, this makeup look works well but doesn't immediately suggest 1930s influence. The shimmer of the eyeshadow isn't in keeping with the textures of eyeshadow available in the 1930s. The brows, though curved, are too thick, I think the technique of blocking out eyebrows will be a more effective method of achieving a thin brow. I need to work on creating the signature elongated cupids bow lip shape that was very popular on women in the 1930s. 

This has been a good starting point for me but I want to consider creating designs that best reflect the trends of 1930s makeup and utilise more of my skills as a makeup artist.   

Images of inspiration for the design


                                                          Makeup Design on Face Chart




Trialling the design on myself

No comments:

Post a Comment