Sunday 30 November 2014

The Emcee Hair Design


Because I have already secured a model, I have designed the hairstyle around my model's unique hairstyle. My model's hair is shaved at the sides and long on top. In order to maintain elements of the 1930s in my design, I have chosen to incorporate curls as I also feel they appeal to the contemporary aspect as well. These images are my ultimate contemporary inspiration for my hair design. 



My design includes the long hair on top being curled using barrel curling tongs. As for the rest of the hairstyle, my Emcee is a top performer, he is the headlining act and the STAR of the show. I think it would be in his creative personality to give recognition to this in his hairstyle. I have decided to use stencils to create stars on the shaved part of my model's head. 

I created my own star stencils of various sizes out of a sheet of craft foam. I drew a star onto a square of foam and them cut it out to get a stencil. When I first practised stencilling on my model, I used aqua colours, sponging them onto the head within the stencil. The result, very faint colours. The shape of the star was sort of visible but no matter how many layers I applied, the colour was very washed out. 
After the aqua colour fail, I tried using coloured hairsprays, the novelty wash-in, wash-out ones you can buy at fancy dress stores. The colour was bolder using the sprays however, because my model's hair is very fine and short, it was as though I was spraying onto the skin. The product ran and the shape no longer resembled a star.   
The third medium I chose to test was supra colours and, third times a charm, it worked really well. I used a small brush to apply supra colour within the star stencil and it showed up really great, I was able to achieve perfect star shapes and the product stayed in place. 


Practising the curls 
Practising the curls 

Using aqua colours & coloured hairspray
Using supra colours





Products and equipment needed:
  •  Small barrel curling tongs
  • Heat Defence Spray
  • Dry Shampoo
  • Hairspray
  • Sectioning Grips
  • Hair brushes inc. pintail comb
  • Star shaped stencils
  • Supra Colour Palette
  • Method:


1.    Prep the hair with heat defence spray and dry shampoo if necessary
2.    Curl the entire top section of hair in small sections, releasing from the tongs carefully so the curls maintain their tight formation
3.    Fix the curls with hairspray
4.    Hold star stencil to the head and fill with supra colour as indicated by design



No comments:

Post a Comment